Evan Kessler Dot Com

The Home of the Brave

Halloweekend II: The Reckoning

Posted by evankessler on October 31, 2007

Once again, the weekend recap is late and once again I apologize. However, I have been battling a tad bit of writers block since this book writing venture began….that much is immaterial to the events of this past weekend. I entitled it Halloweekend II, simply because last year I entitled Halloween Weekend, Halloweekend in the tradition of many a horror movie, this was to be it’s sequel.

The weekend began as innocently as the past few weekends began (though it never really descended into anything that would require a feeling of guilt), just another night at the Lighthouse swigging a few Buds and watching the hours roll by. The previous night Thea B and I and gone to see the New Pornographers put on a stellar show at Webster Hall. It was mostly enjoyable save for the obnoxious Six-foot-three superfan who felt he had to battle me for position despite me being 8 inches shorter than he. There’s one in every crowd and they always seem to end up several feet from me when I am in said crowd. This is a valid argument for never attending concert again but if the music is good enough it tends to win out.

Anyway, back to Friday… Me, Arby, Beers, lighthouse… Those are the essential details, if you missed them you didn’t miss much because this was pretty much all that Friday night entailed. Though there was the comical occurrence of the manager Erik, Arby, and Waymon (the cook) all taking a shot of tabasco sauce and 151. It was pretty stupid and all three of them while trying to prove their manliness would grow to regret their decision. Other than that Heather got mad at Arby for playing with the taps. Arby got drunk, we left before 1am…the end of Friday night.

Saturday, I awoke to sight of quite the downpour. It was relatively early at the time I chose to hop on out of bed and face the day. I had a few errands to run in relation to my Halloween costume, so I figured I’d knock those out before taking the time to be lazy…it seemed like the most effective way to enjoy the afternoon. I donned my Syracuse hoodie and my jeans and headed towards Duane Reade on the 7th Avenue and Flatbush. The missing pieces to my costume would hopefully be found there. Luckily for me the walk over would be a dry one as the rain had stopped. Upon my arrival,I scoured the shelves of the trusty neighborhood pharmacy in search of a clipboard and a whistle. I found a clipboard but it wasn’t one of those old school wooden ones. Instead it was some neon yellow plastic color which would was not the desired prop for my Camp Waterfront Director costume.

My next move was to the stationery store across the street. Unfortunately the rain had picked up quite a bit and I would be substantially wet before reaching my destination, despite its close proximity. I quickly took refuge inside and made my way through the store in search of my props. I found a clipboard after about 5 minutes as well as a legal pad to attach to it. I would need the paper for my general swim buddy sign up sheet. If people wanted to party tonight, they’d have to do so on the buddy system. I eventually found a whistle at the store too but it was a keychain and I wanted one that clipped to a lanyard around my neck for the costume to be perfect.

So my costume completion journey continued down Flatbush Avenue where I came to Triangle Sports at 5th Avenue. I was in and out of there in about 1 minute with a whistle and a lanyard in tow. From there it was back to my apartment to eat lunch and get into character. The last thing I needed for my character was a little zinc sunblock action on my nose. Unfortunately, none of the products I had in my apartment had the desired effect. I made one last venture around the corner and picked up some clear toothpaste to double for my final costume element. I was not aware of the subsequent slight burning sensation spreading toothpaste on my nose would cause but I dealt with it all night without bitching (so forgive me if I’m bitching now).

Before heading out to the city for the first Halloween Party I grabbed a burger with Arby at the subpar Park Cafe on 7th Ave. I honestly don’t know why we go back there. Oh yeah, it’s cheap and close. Straight from there I went home and got ready by showering and donning my costume. I emerged from my apartment around 8:45pm wearing a bathing suit, a short sleeved camp staff shirt, and flip flops, holding a clipboard. I marched right down to the 7 train passed a handful of people, none of which seemed dressed for Halloween.

I arrived just in time for the Q train and for people to stare at me as if they had no idea it was a night that people were having Halloween parties. I wasn’t uncomfortable though, I was kind of in character, ready to blow my whistle and tell them to get in the water.

It was about 9:30 when I arrived at the East Village abode of Jess S, Deb M, and Londa L. The party seemed to already be in full swing but there were a few folks occupied by the World Series, unconcerned with the goings on around them. Deb, Jess, and Londa all made a nice effort to dress their parts. Londa was dressed as Olive Oyl, Deb was Jem (from the 80’s cartoon) and Jess was Vicki from Small Wonder. Several people I did not recognize came up to me and said hello. They recognized me from the previous year when I brought Li’l Evan Kessler as my costume. I did not recognize them. It’s nearly impossible to recognize people you’ve only met in costume when they’re wearing a differrent costume. Actually, I’ll amend that statement to read it’s difficult to recognize anyone you don’t really know at all in costume.

Vicki From Small Wonder’s Mechanic Said She Shouldn’t Be Allowed In The Water

The party itself was okay. I didn’t know a great many people there and some that I knew best were completely entranced by the Sox. I was involved in several conversations but I sort of tried to hang with Jess, Deb, John, and Londa a little bit. Some of the staples I’m used to seeing at Jess and Deb’s parties were not there save for her friends Orli and Meg, both of whom kept me entertained for a while. The best costume was probably a tie between Jess and Meg, who came as Amy Winehouse. By the way, I still have no idea what the big effin’ deal about Amy Winehouse is. Every few years an artist comes along that everyone thinks is so great and they fade into obscurity. Does anyone know where Macy Gray is?

Anyway, there were a few awful costumes as well. Some girl was dressed in green, I think she was a leprechaun or something and on her tall dumb green hat she had taped a piece of paper that had the numbers 420 and 69 on it making it even dumber than it already was. I guess she was a leprechaun who liked to smoke and do it. Maybe she was just sounding her mating call instead of shouting “I’m so drunk”. I wish I would’ve asked what she was trying to do but I just didn’t think the answer would’ve been rewarding or interesting.

At around 12:15am I realized I was not talking to anyone and aimlessly wandering. It was at that point I decided to head back to Brooklyn to my old apartment and hang out at a party where I would more than likely know everyone. I said a quick goodbye to the hostesses and caught a cab down the street. It was one hell of a long cab ride and it was 12:50 when I finally made it back to the Slope.

By the time I got to Rob and Marty’s party it seemed to have quieted down. I was fine with that since the people left were some of my favorites. Rob his girlfriend Beth, Reva, Katey, Alice, Tara, Jason, Deirdre, Chris, Josh, Ali and Marty were all hanging in the living room drinking and just generally emanating good times. I cracked open a beer and joined the fray.

I’d Prefer If My Pilot Didn’t Enjoy A Cocktail

Bi-Curious George and The Man In The Yellow Hat

The Boss Spreads His Patriotic Message To The Crowd

Marty also continuously doled out tasty hors d’oeuvres which I probably had one too many of, but I couldn’t help myself. The party raged on until after 3am when after Marty gave out costume prizes he tried to get people to go out to the bars for last call. Rather than give in to temptation to drink more I packed up my clipboard and called it a night.

The next morning I awoke and felt full of food and beer. I wasn’t hungover, just overly full. I could barely move…and on top of that I had a bit of a cold. Rather than venture into the great wide open, Sunday was spent mostly in the comfort of my own bedroom watching football as the good lord intended.

So there you have it…my pre Halloween weekend. There’ll be plenty more to talk about after actual Halloween. I hope everyone has a spooky day, but I also hope no one gets murdered by a fictional murdering character like they have in the movies.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: