Evan Kessler Dot Com

The Home of the Brave

Lights, Camera, Patriotism!

Posted by evankessler on July 6, 2007

Well, it has certainly been an eventful first week at the new home office of EvanKessler.com and IfIBlogit.com (and about 5 other blogs). At the end of my previous post I had said that I would definitely be posting during this week but I had not expected to follow up on that promise so late into the game. My original plan was to lay off the drink for most of the week. However, I seemed to neglect the fact that sometime during the week I would have to take time out from sobriety to celebrate the 231st Anniversary of the birth of The United States of America. Surely, that would involve imbibing the King of Beers for The King of Democratic Republics. I did think it would be relatively easy to avoid the workingman’s nectar (my new euphemism for beer that I just came up with) on Monday and Tuesday as I certainly had my fair share of work to finish from the previous week, not to mention the fact that there was much to be done in terms of setting up my living space in my new apartment.

As I prepared to hunker down in the name of productivity mid-Monday afternoon, an astonishing thing happened. My phone rang. On the other end, sounding as if she were in the next room, was my good friend Linnea. You may recall Linnea from posts way back in February of 2005. Look it up, it’ll be a hoot. Anyway, Linnea and I have known each other since our first grade class in 1985 when human rights violations were not part of the curriculum but were nonetheless a hard lesson learned at Lime Kiln Elementary School. Two and a half years ago we had our first get together (we got drunk, and we went to The Gates together) in probably 8 or 9 years and have kept in touch since. I’ve even become fast friends with her sister as a result. Anyway, Linnea called me and wouldn’t you know it, she was in town and wanted to hang out that very night. I raced through as much work as I could, nearly finishing it before showering and rushing to the West Village where I met Linnea and her father at One If By Land, Two If By Sea.

I Chose This Picture of Me and Linnea because It Looks Like I May Have Done Something Funny Beforehand

It’s funny to think you’ve known someone for so many years and never met either of their parents but here I was knowing Linnea since we were about 6 and meeting her father for the first time. They finished up their drinks as I arrived and both said their goodbyes to everyone at the bar. They had apparently heard everyone’s life story in the span of a few short drinks. I learned with 10 seconds of leaving the restaurant that the pianist was a germaphobe. Apparently Linnea had tried to shake her hand and was met with discomfort and denial.

From One if By Land, Two If By Sea we hopped a cab to Tribeca. Linnea’s father was extremely eager to show us around as if neither of us had spend any time in the city. I think we barely made it through any personal conversation as he kept interrupting wanting to show us a new restaurant. To his defense, I’d never spent any time in his view of the city as he kept taking us to upscale restaurants to have a look around and maybe or maybe not stop in for a drink. We must’ve entered and exited 4 restaurants before settling on a place. However, it wasn’t done in a finicky, “I don’t want to go here way”. It was a more measured, “I love your bar/restaurant you have a great place, give me your card so I can take clients here” way, that didn’t leave us feeling guilty when we walked back outside past the maitre’d without spending a dime.

We finally settled down for a drink at bar of the Tribeca Grill. Linnea’s father generously paid for my drink and I thinkfully nursed my Hoegaarden whilst eating trail mix. We were met by Linnea’s father’s girlfriend Suzanne who was also quite pleasant and enjoyable to talk to. We enjoyed a vegetable tempura appetizer before heading off on the hunt for another place to delight our palate. We stopped at one bar that just didn’t seem like the right vibe. Despite the classy exterior, they were blasting Pearl Jam’s “Rearview Mirror” which was just not suitable to our situation. After walking a little further up we came across a restaurant called Turks and Frogs. We entered with caution but the decor was quite nice and Linnea’s father questioned the owner a bit and and we sat down to order appetizers and a drink. There was a bit of a touristy element to our patronage as we were at a Turkish restaurant and when ordering our drinks I asked for a Turkish Beer, Suzanne asked for a Turkish wine, and Linnea’s father asked for a Turkish liquor. It was as if none of us wanted to find out what the drinks were called as long as we were doing something authentically Turkish. I never found out what kind of beer I had but I know it was Turkish. Anyway, we ordered a few appetizers and a few desserts. The place had some of the best hummus I’ve ever had. It was a top notch restaurant and would certainly go back there again.

After our Turkish excursion we had one more place to go. Linnea’s father was going on about a place that had the best Fried Artichoke. I for one was not aware that Fried Artichoke was a dish but I was just going with the flow, so I went for it. Several minutes later we found ourselves at Giorgone where we would sample the delectable Fried Artichoke as well as a pizza topped with prosciutto. Everything was absolutely delicious. Giorgione proved to be the end of our Culinary tour of Tribeca but I was thankful as I felt as though I received a primer on some of the City’s culinary treasures. From there we went to Suzanne’s apartment for a few minutes and then I walked Linnea and her father to their car and saw them off as they headed back to Rockland. It had been quite the whirlwind for a Monday night. I headed back to Brooklyn via train and was ready to hit the sack.

Tuesday was all about finishing the work I had put off. I spent the majority of my day finishing up my notes from the previous week’s shoots. I had finished by the evening but was having internet problems which made it difficult to send out. Tuesday evening was to be another night on the town. Since Wednesday was July 4th everyone was around to go out on Tuesday. As I was finishing up my work in my room. Andrew Morton and Bassett were tying one on downstairs while talking to our other new roommate Matt. When I finally made it downstairs after a shower Andrew was on his way to being three sheets to the wind via a tumbler of gin and tonic while Bassett used a little more moderation. After a couple of beers and some time on the porch we (Bassett, Andrew, and Mike H) headed out to Union Hall but ultimately decided on the Lighthouse where we got a table outdoors and basked in the warmth of a summer night. I bought everyone drinks but ended up drinking Andrew’s as we kicked back and conversed under the Brooklyn sky. We only stayed for a bit as we were back home before midnight.

I woke up early the morning of Independence Day and used my freedom from the working week to go to the Tea Lounge to send out my work notes using their Internet connection. I spent a great deal of the afternoon loitering around the apartment while Laura R and Bassett made a patriotic 4th of July cake. At around 4:30 a group of us including Laura R, Dan F, Bassett, Andrew Morton, Kelly R, and myself headed down to Montero’s on Atlantic Ave for it’s 60th Anniversary bash and for July 4th festivities. They had Burgers, Dogs, and of course…us (which also came to include about 4 or 5 of Dan’s friends as well as Brian D). Upon getting to the bar I rushed to the jukebox to make sure there were appropriate patriotic selections playing. I played the Beach Boys, “Surfin’ USA”, The Pointer Sisters “Jump”, Chicago’s “Look Away”, David Allen Coe’s “You Never Even Called Me By My Name”, Toby Keith’s “Courtesy of The Red White And Blue” and Grand Funk Railroad’s “We’re An American Band” amongst other classics. One things for sure, they were all American tunes and the bar rocked accordingly and patriotically.

Bassett is a “FAN” of the U.S. of A

Andrew does his best Sean Penn impresson

The AmeriDan Dream

After a while at Montero’s we shifted the party over to Floyd where we partook in more Kings of Beers and ate our American cake so lovingly prepared by my new roommates. We also played some murder mystery game very briefly but apparently we didn’t have enough people to make it exciting.

“We’ll Put A Boot In Yer Ass, It’s The American Way”

We went from cake and booze and Floyd to crackle and boom by the water to watch the Fireworks. We made it down near the water as the rain drizzled down on us though not intrusively so. We found a nice open lot which we soon ended up being booted out of on account of it being private property. No matter, we just moved a little further down the road to watch the spectacle that was the fireworks display over the East River. However, I do have to take issue with the length of the light display since it tends to get boring after a few minutes. I think I would be perfectly content with that whole grand finale section just being the entire show. That would be fine with me. That entire 25 minute build up of two things exploding in the air one after another gets kind of tedious. It’d be more exciting if they did 8 minutes of that and 5 minutes of massive explosive hysteria. Oh well, you can’t win ’em all. And because you can’t you drink, and that’s how we closed our night…we had a beer at Floyd before heading back home to bed. Some folks had to work the next morning…but not me.

Hopefully The Apocalypse is Just As Colorful

Laura and Dan in “ooh…aaah” mode

There’s Always Fireworks When These Two Get Together

Kelly Stares Down A Light Show While Not Worrying About Home Delivery

I woke up this day after our 231st anniversary of our great nation with no big plans. I wanted to go to Target to get some things for my new room as well as an outfit for a white party we are having at my new apartment this weekend. Other than that I still had some odds and ends floating around my room to put away and I wanted to suss out the cable situation in my room. These are things you have to do when you move into a new place. I didn’t do everything I had and the day remained largely uneventful save for the ridiculous white outfit I bought from Marshall’s and for the arrival of my new beard trimmer that I bought on Amazon.com. Perhaps I’ll review the beard trimmer on my New in My Apartment blog. I was going to head to the Lighthouse to watch the Met game tonight but the rain put a damper on that plan. Oh well, one sober night out of seven ain’t bad…oh wait, it kind of is.


2 Responses to “Lights, Camera, Patriotism!”

  1. Yuri said

    You didn’t invent “working man’s nectar” – you stole that from Xander in Buffy: The Vampire Slayer!

    Or it’s a coincidence.

    Either way, I love the phrase.

    Bless your heart.


  2. Evan Kessler said

    It’s purely coincidence. I never watched show

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: